I love hot chocolate, so being able to make a keto-friendly hot chocolate was a must. Whether you’re on a low carb diet, keto diet or just looking for low sugar alternatives to hot chocolate – this keto hot chocolate recipe is perfect!
What makes this keto hot chocolate so good?
This keto hot chocolate recipe uses heavy whipping cream, or for those in the UK/Europe – double cream. This makes it sooo yummy, as the cream gives it that creamy consistency that I love in hot chocolate. This combined with the cocoa, and the right low carb sweetener (a few are recommended so you can pick your faveorite), make this taste just like a normal hot chocolate – but free from added sugar.
Why not try pair this hot chocolate, with our delicious keto cookies?
Can I make this if I’m dairy-free/vegan?
Dairy-free? No worries. There’s a dairy-free version of this keto-friendly hot chocolate included! Just swap out the cream for almond milk (or your preferred keto-friendly dairy-free milk) and bam, you have the perfect dairy free low carb hot chocolate!
What do I need to keto hot chocolate?
You only need a few ingredients to make this low carb hot chocolate.
Heavy Cream (for those in the USA) or Double Cream (for those in the UK & Europe). For the dairy-free alternative, use an unsweetened almond milk.
Pure Vanilla Extract, to ensure the vanilla flavouring used is natural and sugar-free
How do I make keto-friendly hot chocolate?
To make this keto hot chocolate recipe, begin by using a small saucepan and measure the cream/amond milk, cocoa and sweetener into the saucepan.
Put the saucepan on a low to medium heat, and stir to mix the cocoa and sweetener into the cream/almond milk. Heat until the mix starts to simmer.
Remove from the heat, and add the pure vanilla extract, mixing into the hot chocolate mix.
Pour the mix into a mug. Optional: sprinkle some more cocoa over the top to taste and decorate your hot chocolate.
Low Carb Keto Hot Chocolate
- Sauce Pan
- Mixing spoon
- Mug/Glass for serving
- Measuring Spoons + Jug
- 1/4 Cup Heavy or Double Cream. Dairy free? Use almond milk 1/4 cup = 60ml
- 1.25 Cup Water 1.25 cup = 300ml
- 3 tbsp pure cocoa powder, preferably dutch cocoa
- 3 tbsp keto-friendly sweetener such as stevia, erythriol or monk fruit.
- 1/4 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Optional: cocoa powder to decorate
How to make the hot chocolate
- Measure all the ingredients into a small saucepan.
- Place the saucepan on a low to medium heat
- While heating mix the ingredients together until incorporated, and then leave until the mixture begins to simmer.
- Remove from heat, and pour into a mug. Leave to cool for a minute so it's a safe drinking temperture.
- Optional: sprinkle some cocoa powder over the top to decorate.